[How-To] Playing Customs on Wii

Viewing 15 posts - 2,431 through 2,445 (of 3,117 total)
  • Author
    StackOverflow0x
    Participant

The packing is still hit or miss. Sometimes it makes bins, sometimes it doesn’t.

This sounds like you’re using sZFE and starting from 0, which is when that would likely happen.

Anyway, I now get the restored error when trying to play the song instead of at the main menu. I went to clear the cache, but I literally cannot find the file anymore.

Is this for something that was working before? Or for new files you’ve added? If it has to do with the first problem, then it could be the meta packed, and the song didn’t so then on load, it would not find anything.

WiiXplorer won’t let me access the NAND on this SD card and the disc won’t even be mounted.

I don’t understand what a different SD card has to do with WiiXplorer’s capabilities. I’ve never heard of this being an issue. And what’s wrong with the disc? Is the launcher not taking the disc anymore?

EuroMIX
      Participant

So I’m curious about the ‘game_origin’ tag. I know that the official tag for RBN songs appears to be ‘ugc_plus’, but I’m curious if any other official tags are known, if it’s possible to create or use other tags, and if there’s any reason I wouldn’t want to?

For example, I could potentially create custom sorting for the Guitar Hero converts, or The Beatles: Rock Band.

StackOverflow0x
        Participant

So I’m curious about the ‘game_origin’ tag. I know that the official tag for RBN songs appears to be ‘ugc_plus’, but I’m curious if any other official tags are known, if it’s possible to create or use other tags, and if there’s any reason I wouldn’t want to?

For example, I could potentially create custom sorting for the Guitar Hero converts, or The Beatles: Rock Band.

I thought I had a list of these somewhere, but apparently not.

Here’s a few that the game recognizes. The point of this is for the text to be localized in-game.

(rb1 "Rock Band")
          (rb2 "Rock Band 2")
          (rb3 "Rock Band 3")
          (lego "LEGO Rock Band")
          (greenday "Green Day: Rock Band")
          (ugc "Rock Band Network")
          (ugc_plus "Rock Band Network")
          (ugc_demo "Demo")

Maybe there are more? But it doesn’t matter since it seems you can write your own custom category just fine.

u9ok044.png

EuroMIX
          Participant

(rb1 "Rock Band")
            (rb2 "Rock Band 2")
            (rb3 "Rock Band 3")
            (lego "LEGO Rock Band")
            (greenday "Green Day: Rock Band")
            (ugc "Rock Band Network")
            (ugc_plus "Rock Band Network")
            (ugc_demo "Demo")

This is really useful, thank you.

I’m guessing that ugc stands for “user generated content”, or something, and the “plus” is for RBN2 songs.

CVJordan
            Participant

hey all, I’m pretty new to this. I’m trying to test some songs in dolphin and record previews. I got my songs in there just fine, but now I don’t know how to update them. I couldn’t remember their original decimal IDs, so I deleted all the .app files I made and deleted the cache. now they’re all just showing up as corrupted files in my library. what am I doing wrong here?

StackOverflow0x
              Participant

hey all, I’m pretty new to this. I’m trying to test some songs in dolphin and record previews. I got my songs in there just fine, but now I don’t know how to update them. I couldn’t remember their original decimal IDs, so I deleted all the .app files I made and deleted the cache. now they’re all just showing up as corrupted files in my library. what am I doing wrong here?

I’m not sure why that would be happening. Have you tried rebuilding them? What version are you using?

EuroMIX
                Participant

I recently upgraded two songs with the RBHP, and then downloaded a few more songs from the store, and now my Wii freezes/crashes at the main menu as Play Now and Career appear. If I delete the cache (or whatever you want to call it), then I can reach the menu, it’ll reload just fine, and I can access the library, but if I restart the game again to test, then it freezes again.

Any ideas what it might be? I’m not sure if i should delete the new DLC, or the RBHP songs I upgraded.

I deleted one of the recent DLC files within the library, but it freezes during it. It did appear to have deleted it regardless. I’ve removed the RBHP songs and reloaded the cache to see if one or both of those files are the problem.

I removed the RBHP upgraded songs and reloaded the cache, bit I’m still having the same problem. I can actually play the newly downloaded songs just fine. but seems that deleting them, at least, causes issues.

Edit: I think I’ve worked out what was causing the issue, but it was still a really strange situation.

StackOverflow0x
                  Participant

Yes, I was going to say that it’s a strange problem I’ve never encountered. What was the issue in the end?

Atruejedi
                    Participant

I will be preparing a Wii customs guide in the near future, but in the mean time, for my own reference, I wanted to paste some conversations here with tips in them. I will be editing this post into its own thread/post later, so don’t bother asking questions here (yet), but feel free to offer more of your own tips.

Do you use a program called WiiXplorer?
                      I use it from my homebrew screen to clear the cache.
                      nand:title00100000535a4245data is the folder
                      There’s a file there called MSTORE.vff
                      When I delete it, it forces Rock Band 3 to create a new one, thereby refreshing the cache (takes about 20 minutes for my 506 files with 1,100 songs to refresh)
                      Now when you boot up RB3 and choose your character, it should begin refreshing

Here’s my advice:
                      I DID NOT begin by packing multiple songs in each slot.
                      I should have.
                      Pack each slot and fill it until you’re full.
                      When you convert CONs, and this is a BIG deal, generate the preview at 10 seconds.
                      The majority of space in the meta folder is taken up by preview files.
                      You can’t go over 500 KB
                      Aim for 4 per slot AND make at least one of those a multitracked song
                      You have 40MB to fill in song
                      Generally, multitracked Wii versions are about 15 MB
                      and other customs are anywhere from 4MB to 10MB (roughly)
                      So if you can get 1 multitrack and 3 singletracked per slot, you’re doing it intelligently
                      Fill those slots as you go.
                      Don’t spread it out. Here’s why:
                      Sometimes a slot will package wrong, and you’ll have many more errors when you’re adding more packages at once
                      If you’re only adding package by package, less errors, more happiness
                      So once you’ve got 3 or 4 songs in a slot, THEN begin filling another slot
                      Make sense?

Further observations:
                      Packing the same artist into the same slot is a good idea. Whenever a slot is accessed, it reads the entire contents, so you’ll see all of the album art without having to reload it. So if you have 3 songs by one artist in one slot, all the album art and preview clips will already be loaded and will play a bit faster. If you wanted to get really nerdy about it, arrange the artist by album, and the album tracks chronologically. It’s hard to know what will be released in the future, but if you’re using both sZGE and sZHE, you have room for 1968 custom songs (2 generations, 46 slots in each generation, 4 in each slot), which is still far from the 3000 song limit.

EuroMIX
                      Participant

Yes, I was going to say that it’s a strange problem I’ve never encountered. What was the issue in the end?

Apparently the Wii version of the Cough Syrup custom I created and modified the structure of to match the RBHP files, to see if I could replicate the “album art shows after song” feature, ended up being the culprit. To test, I copied over an old version using the conventional setup and it works fine. I’m not sure if it was when I created an upgrades folder, but it didn’t have a midi file that caused my system to lock up.

It was weird because it didn’t seem to happen until after I added more new songs to the library.

So I’ve been adding customs to Dolphin in batches (some songs per time) and it worked fine until I got around to 0000000F.app.

First, it’s mired in problems with RB3WiiPackTool as well:

00F_0000000F_custom_meta
                        010_00000010_custom_song

RB3WiiPackTool completely errors and doesn’t make a packdlc.bat.

If I made one manually, looking like this:

@echo off
                        u8it 00F_0000000F_custom_meta 0000000F.app -pack
                        u8it 010_00000010_custom_song 00000010.app -pack

copy /Y 0000000F.app “DIRECTORIESDolphinDLC-Filestitle0010005735a4145content”
                        copy /Y 00000010.app “DIRECTORIESDolphinDLC-Filestitle0010005735a4145content”

Then when RB3 starts on Dolphin, it enters an endless loop of:

Finding Downloadable Content
                        Loading Downloadable Content

Why isn’t it working anymore?

0F is 15 in decimal and 10 is 16 so the folders should be named:

015_0000000F_custom_meta
                        016_00000010_custom_song

And the path in your DTA file should correspond to the meta decimal (15).

You need to understand the difference between hexadecimal and decimal, there are alot of converters online if you use google.

EuroMIX
                        Participant

Yeah, this is something that tripped me up. I don’t know what OS you use but I know that Windows 7 has a built in Calculator, that if you go to View > Programmer in, you can select the “Dec” radio button to put in the decimal number, then click the “Hex” radio button to get what that number is in hexadecimal.

And there are probably other alternatives.

Well that fixed the problem of RB3WiiPackTool crashing (not sure why it was crashing period—it seemed to accept 009_00000009 and 00A_0000000A and so on properly) but Dolphin still enters an endless Loading and Finding Downloadable Content loop

Did you fixed 009 and 00A to be 009 and 010? (Also in the DTA file of course, and also the ones after, 00B and 00C to 011 and 012 and so on…)

Viewing 15 posts - 2,431 through 2,445 (of 3,117 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Back to top button