Can you record your voice and have it converted to a MIDI in Reaper or elsewhere?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mrmet2087
    Participant

I’ve been doing customs for almost 6 years and I do vocals all the time, and it just occurred to me to ask if there’s anyway way to do this? Recording your voice singing to a song and having it somehow converted into a MIDI file in reaper or elsewhere. Just to cut down some authoring time, and just cleaning it up? I did a forum search so I assume this is not possible or else it would have been talked about, but figured I’d ask.

bloosmurf
      Participant

No actual experience in this, but a quick google search lead me to this forum that discussed that there are programs (and possibly a reaper plug-in) that might do what you’re looking for.

BornGamerRob
        Participant

Woah! So I just ran through a tutorial online

and it totally works in Reaper using a VST (ReaTune) and a Instrument capture DXi (Chorus). You have to program your output to Midi and change the settings in ReaTune to “Send MIDI events when pitch changes” but I’ll be damn if it doesn’t place those midis in the keys you sing. Now, a whole lot of caveats. It picks up the finer details, which means, if you sing vibrato, you get a mess of notes. But it’s something to have fun with and play around with for sure.

You can also use this as a tuner instead of your phone. Thanks for posing this question!!

SAMPLE OF MY OUTPUT

33325641218_ee2acc33c7_z.jpg

And just for some more experimentation, below is what i originally charted, then what I sang to see how that would come out. My singing on top, my original charting below it.

33325732468_810df0c58e.jpg

You can see you will be doing a lot of editing of notes. It almost works, but it’s quite sensitive and will pick up slight shifts in pitch.

If you use this, curious to know your results and if any refinement you do to get it closer to standard charting.

People could use this instead of the bogus automatic vocals tutorial on the rbn docs.

Atruejedi
          Participant

You can see you will be doing a lot of editing of notes. It almost works, but it’s quite sensitive and will pick up slight shifts in pitch.

If you use this, curious to know your results and if any refinement you do to get it closer to standard charting.

Would it be possible to filter out notes based on what key the song is in?

BornGamerRob
            Participant

Would it be possible to filter out notes based on what key the song is in?

Haven’t messed with it a lot yet, but that thought crossed my mind. There is a tab that allows notes to be selected, but I think it’s more about pitch correction and not full on omission. Might dig deeper if I get some time. Be great if anyone knows/finds any further refinement to post it here.

kueller
              Participant

When I did something like this myself I had both optional key snapping and also an adjustable sliding window per note to avoid the case of vibrato and slight detuning giving you a mess of notes.

If I was more advanced in VST development I’d try to add that work here.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Back to top button