AJFOne’s Customs 6/3 – Broken links????

Viewing 15 posts - 1,651 through 1,665 (of 1,993 total)
  • Author
    AJFOne23
    Participant

chris-cornell-tribute-banner.png?width=5

LATEST UPDATE 5/20 – Soundgarden – Flower

EMwyctT.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: ghostbyob

DRUMS: MrBurpler

VOCALS: EchoOfMystery

On “Flower” Cornell’s devilish delivery ­– guttural yet knowing, extending vowels like they’re made of Play-Doh – is a complement to his withering lyrics, which tell the tale of a young woman whose fast-living lifestyle results in dying young.

AJFOne23
      Participant

LATEST UPDATE 5/21 – Soundgarden – By Crooked Steps

By-Crooked-Steps-rb3con-visual.jpg

GUITAR: Fbs13

Soundgarden’s famous odd time signatures evolve further on standout “By Crooked Steps.” Cornell soars above jackhammering guitar parts and straight-ahead drumming, a mismatch that somehow sounds natural while claiming new ground for the band.

AJFOne23
        Participant

LATEST UPDATE 5/22 – Soundgarden – Mailman

3uWmQnG.jpg

GUITAR: Mb1nightmare

There’s a slow grind among the sludgy sounds of “Mailman,” which features music by Matt Cameron. But Cornell sings as if the lyrics are an incantation, oscillating between a breathy tenor and measured high notes; “All your kisses / turned to spit in my face.” Cameron mans a mellotron that bends the space-time continuum of the song, and Cornell reaches up so high on the chorus (“I know I’m headed for the bottom / but I’m riding you all the way!”) the sound distorts around him. “When Chris sings high, he tends to sing harder and louder than just about anything on this earth,” producer Michael Beinhorn told Billboard in 1994. “He literally blew through a bunch of condenser mikes. I’ve never seen anyone do that.”

AJFOne23
          Participant

LATEST UPDATE 5/23 – Soundgarden – Dusty

4qTEYgc.jpg

GUITAR: Mb1nightmare

“Nothing’s gonna put me out/ It’s backing down and under/ I’m down on the upside now.” The de facto title track to Soundgarden’s final LP in their first incarnation was a good example of that album at its most compelling — knotty, mysterious folk-prog that returned grunge from its rainiest days much closer to its arid, Neil Young roots. Dust never sleeps.

AJFOne23
            Participant

LATEST UPDATE 5/24 – Soundgarden – Worse Dreams

W5fsaOX.jpg

Video Preview

GUITAR: Sunfire Cobra

The dreams of worldly success referred to here is transformed into a nightmare in “Worse Dreams”, which describes the soul desperately clinging to hold on and survive in the midst of all things swirling and falling apart. “Everybody in/Sit down and keep on holding on”, Cornell exhorts, as he notes how the “black clouds drown” and the “rain is walking”.

AJFOne23
              Participant

LATEST UPDATE 5/25 – Chris Cornell – Euphoria Mourning 2 pack

cLnNBrq.jpg

GUITAR: EchoOfMystery

VOCALS: Qweflol

Chris wrote this song while working on the movie Singles. In the film, Matt Dillon’s character, Cliff Poncier, peddles his tape of solo songs. The fictitious tracklist was devised by Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam, who was also working on the film. Cornell recorded songs with those titles on a 4-track tape machine, which is what Cliff Poncier would have used. One of those songs is “Flutter Girl,” which Cornell turned into a heartaching song about a delicate girl he is setting free, as she is better off without him.

u5TTanB.jpg

GUITAR: EchoOfMystery/Bansheeflyer

On “Moonchild,” Cornell affectionately describes how his wife (and former Soundgarden manager), Susan Silver, “gets really freaked out during the full moon.” Cornell and Silver were married from 1990-2004.

AJFOne23
                Participant

LATEST UPDATE 5/26 – Soundgarden – Halfway There

MxZ9Xpj.jpg

GUITAR: Sunfire Cobra

“Halfway There” is a matter-of-fact take on class stagnation: “Something to eat?/I would say you’re doing better than most, though maybe not as well as some,” Cornell observes.

As always thank you so much for all the customs you’ve done, and most especially early Soundgarden! What do you think about doing Entering, Nothing to Say, or Fopp sometime? :-) :-) :-)

AJFOne23
                  Participant

LATEST UPDATE 5/27 – Chris Cornell feat. Joy Williams – Misery Chain

gnLZXbX.jpg

STANDARD KEYS: FujiSkunk

Chris contributed a song to the 12 Years a Slave soundtrack in 2013 called “Misery Chain” with Civil Wars vocalist Joy Williams. In a press release, Cornell talked about the inspiration for the track. “I was moved by this film and the story in a way that transcends any film experience I have ever had,” he said. “I was inspired to write a hundred different songs, but finally landed on one based on what I believe is an extremely important message I took from this man’s journey. Compassion, basic human rights and love must be our priorities above race, religion or commerce. Every generation needs a reminder of that simple idea.”

AJFOne23
                    Participant

LATEST UPDATE 5/28 – Soundgarden 2 pack

4PElEL7.jpg

GUITAR: nicholasp248

“All Your Lies” is a straight up punk song. It has some good guitar work and vocals, with a fairly catchy chorus. It was covered by Metallica recently at the I Am The Highway: A Tribute To Chris Cornell celebration at The Forum outside of Los Angeles, CA on January 16th.

9u3gWCt.jpg

GUITAR: nicholasp248

“I Awake” is distinctly somber and unnerving all the way. Its introduction is pretty twisted and the riffs are too creepy and heavy, almost descriptive of a nightmare, or even worse. Chris Cornell wailing “I love you, I love you!” over the chainsaw guitars makes me think of some kind of dysfunctional relationship reaching its limit… with things getting really tense. It’s a great overlooked track with remarkable development of moods around a simple riff.

AJFOne23
                      Participant

LATEST UPDATE 5/29 – Soundgarden – Incessant Mace

scuWW6k.jpg

GUITAR: naginalJJ/grubextrapolate

“Incessant Mace” is a straight up blues staying on a single chord progression throughout but that doesn’t stop it from being relentlessly catchy and allowing Matt Cameron to pull every drum fill out of his tool kit.

AJFOne23
                        Participant

LATEST UPDATE 5/31 – Soundgarden – Kyle Petty, Son of Richard

b2vFvZM.jpg

“Kyle Petty, Son of Richard” was a b-side to the single “Fell on Black Days”. The subject of the song was Nascar driver Kyle Petty. “I was driving the Mello Yello car at the time, and that was a big deal,” Petty said. “To have Soundgarden do a song and put you in it, man, that was huge.”

AJFOne23
                          Participant

LATEST UPDATE 6/1 – Soundgarden – Down on the Upside 2 pack

EwjFhMG.jpg

GUITAR: DashRetro

Bruce Pavitt once likened grunge to “the sound and look of fresh money,” and truer words were never spoken; the Alternative Nation is full of Foreigners, playing secondhand, sugarcoated grunge-by-numbers. Such Bush-league copycats inspired Soundgarden to write a song called “Karaoke,”. The song feels a bit like an experimental cocktail combining 1 part fuzzed-out bass drudgery, 1 part rollicking Kiss era rock and a dash of distorted cacophony. It’s book ended by BRE sections so you have to survive the intro but it’s worth the trouble.

rAvKsJQ.jpg

GUITAR: Fbs13

“Tighter and Tighter” starts off with a heavy guitar riff and harmonics, and then goes into a wah-guitar solo. The bulk of the tune is a moderately paced track bluesy rock jam that builds and builds towards the epic conclusion.

AJFOne23
                            Participant

LATEST UPDATE 6/2 – Chris Cornell – Euphoria Mourning 2 pack

4iL1Dty.jpg

KEYS: EmotionalFlight

The R&B swagger and soulful vocals of “When I’m Down” suggest Harry Connick, Jr., getting his groove on at Lollapalooza. It’s a beautiful haunting blues track that deserves a hell of a lot more attention.

UlJx81W.jpg

“Steel Rain” perfectly captures agony and despair; it connects to your heart and makes you want to share in the song’s pain.

AJFOne23
                              Participant

LATEST UPDATE 6/3 – Temple of the Dog – Reach Down (Cornell month done!)

zVEwsWE.jpg

GUITAR: mrcoupdetat/Bansheeflyer

“Reach Down” starts with a doomy and droning electric guitar riff above slow rhythms through the verse sections. Giving this eleven minute track much of its mass the extended duo guitar lead by McCready and Gossard, while the predominant lyrical theme is “reach down and lift up the audience”. Mike McCready’s guitar solo takes off into a psychedelic stratosphere that recalls the explorations of Hendrix and the grime-spattered riffing of Mudhoney. McCready recalls, “That was my first lead on an album, and I was so excited. I’d been in a studio before, but never to record an album or anything. I did that in one take! I soloed through the whole thing and ended up with the headphones wrapped around my face. I was totally flushed. The guitar work in that track represents one of my proudest moments.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1,651 through 1,665 (of 1,993 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Back to top button