Acoustic and Electric question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi all, just need a bit of advice. If a track starts acoustically then a electric guitar comes in to the track, would you recommend to stay on the acoustic or start on the electric or try to make the both work together as best as possible?

I know the easy answer is probably together as best as possible, but that pretty much means acoustic as the electric, whilst prominent in some sections of the song the acoustic riff is consistent throughout the song.

Thoughts?

Farottone
    Keymaster
      Hi all, just need a bit of advice. If a track starts acoustically then a electric guitar comes in to the track, would you recommend to stay on the acoustic or start on the electric or try to make the both work together as best as possible?

I know the easy answer is probably together as best as possible, but that pretty much means acoustic as the electric, whilst prominent in some sections of the song the acoustic riff is consistent throughout the song.

Thoughts?

The one thing NOT to do is jump between the two. Switch is fine, jump from one to another is not. The rest is really a matter of judgment: how important is the electric guitar? Does it add variation?

Variation is exactly what it adds, I fear the acoustic riff might be a bit repetitive doing the same throughout. However I don’t want people to play the acoustic change to the electric, whilst you can still hear the acoustic in the background and be like what the hell?!?!?

TrojanNemo
      Participant

Sounds like an excellent candidate for using the Rhythm Guitar method. Put the more prominent / interesting one on guitar, put the more repetitive on KEYS, disable pro keys, mark it as Rhythm on Keys on Magma and there you go. Now you have both.

In general, it’s recommended to jump to Electric when it enters if it’s more prominent or as prominent as the acoustic one. Actually it’s more of a “Lead vs. Rhythm” kind of deal, if a lead guitar part jumps in it’s fun to switch to it over playing the same rhythm guitar part again and again when something more interesting is clearly happening in the audio.

It varies a lot between song though.

In general, it’s recommended to jump to Electric when it enters if it’s more prominent or as prominent as the acoustic one. Actually it’s more of a “Lead vs. Rhythm” kind of deal, if a lead guitar part jumps in it’s fun to switch to it over playing the same rhythm guitar part again and again when something more interesting is clearly happening in the audio.

It varies a lot between song though.

Yeah its giving me a bit of a headache, I will march on though and see how it looks/feels at the end, just when your doing your first custom it is already soooo intimidating, even without problems like this.

funkydunkleman
        Participant

I had this issue when I did my Oasis track. There was a section of the song where the electric lead goes out and the rhythm acoustic is clearly audible. I decided to put the acoustic on keys and let the electric pause be there. If it’s something where electric is only in half of the song or something, I would reconsider, but I normally like having the fake lead guitarist playing only the real lead guitarists parts.

Farottone
          Keymaster
            I had this issue when I did my Oasis track. There was a section of the song where the electric lead goes out and the rhythm acoustic is clearly audible. I decided to put the acoustic on keys

If it’s not a rhythm version, consider that keyboard players will download the song thinking it got keys, and it doesn’t.

ws54
            Participant

Well, I’ll chime in on this and ask you how you would play this song (or any song) if you were playing an “Air Guitar?” It seems to me that if someone would reasonably play a part on the Air Guitar, then it would also be reasonable to play the same part on a simulated 5-button guitar. I don’t think there is a perfect answer to this and it can be quite subjective. So the right answer is “It Depends”.

I had this issue when I did my Oasis track.

Funny you should mention that as this band is also a 90’s brit indie band.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Back to top button