What are the best “pro” instrument options these days?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JadeDragonMeli
    Participant

Long story short, I had the chance to buy pro instruments when RB3 first came out, didn’t do it, regret it.

My current Madcatz guitars and drums are starting to show their age and instead of heading to Ebay to buy another one(s), I thought it may be time to actually learn how to play guitar and get a half decent drum set.  Instead of opting to buy a guitar and then pay for lessons, I thought playing on pro mode would at the very least help me build up some muscle memory and dexterity.

So here’s what I’ve found today:

The Mustang Guitar Controller appears to be hot garbage according to just about every review I read.  It goes for around $100.

The Squier Guitar Controller looks great, feels good, is fun to play, but also pretty rare and expensive.  I saw a couple that were even more expensive than an actual electric guitar with an actual amp.

Saw someone mention a midi guitar with some kind of adapter to get the 360 to recognize it.  Seems promising, also seems like a half decent midi guitar is in the $450 range.

I then thought that if Rocksmith allows you to use any electric guitar, surely there’s some kind of work around to use a regular electric guitar with Rockband 3, but that doesn’t appear to be the case?

Kinda the same thing for the drums.  The big one back in the day was the Ion kit, which goes for about $500 it looks like.  My main issue with the drums is that I have the RB3 unit with the 3 cymbal ports and the far right port does not work.  I’ve cracked it open, played around with it, the port is just dead.  I can’t really find a way to switch that one port without risking damaging the whole unit, so here we are….  Is there a cheaper drum kit anyone can recommend, and as I understand, I would need the same sort of adapter that a midi guitar would need?

I know what I’d like to accomplish here is going to require spending some money, that’s fine, I’d just prefer it not be a potential $1k.  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

regularjphn
      Participant

I personally use an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit and it’s been a dream, it retails around $400. You would need the standard midi adapter as well as a midi cable but those shouldn’t be too hard to come by. 

JadeDragonMeli
        Participant

22 hours ago, JustMyselfAndI said:

I personally use an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit and it’s been a dream, it retails around $400. You would need the standard midi adapter as well as a midi cable but those shouldn’t be too hard to come by. 

Perfect!  That looks great, thanks.

Now if I can just nail down a guitar 😬

If you play for score, the Mustang is probably much better than the Squier, but as MIDI controllers, both are not great.

If you play only for fun and you want to sound good, I suggest any real guitar and Rocksmith, RB3’s Pro Guitar mode is for masochists more than anything, it’s not great to learn to play, it’s only great if you like the challenge of the RB3 engine.

JadeDragonMeli
          Participant

I appreciate that. I’m kinda in-between playing for fun and wanting to learn. Me, my wife, and my daughter all play together about once a week, so it’s mostly for fun. Maybe Rocksmith and a real guitar is the way to go for me, then I can just continue on with the OEM Rock Band instruments. At the same time though, my OG RB guitar is on its last leg, so I’ll need a new one sooner rather than later and that’s what kinda prompted all of this.

I think I’m going to end up buying a MIDI guitar. That way I can use it for RB and for actual guitar playing….. just gotta recover financially from Christmas lmao.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

YougottaMove1999
            Participant

Vocals here: if you got a PS3 then buying a real mic (like the sure 58’s – $25), was a godsend when you get a 3 plug adaptor to USB, the Ps3 eats that stuff up, and burps fantasticness. Get a mic screen also. However, if you have a Xbox, then you are kinda screwed. the logictec ones suck for response, and the RB4 ones are better, but still have responses that are all over. Xbox does not like to play nice with just about everything. it sucks cause the xbox is like 100 times easier to putting songs together and will not crash if there is a problem, (unlike the ps3). Happy hunting, lady gaga, and Amie Winehouse are great for vocals.

What the world needs now...is more disco. And, let's ban percussion sections, does anyone like them? NO! Having a spot to enjoy the song, and more importantly, go drab a refill on your drink is wayyy better, without grunting into your mic (had to find the hard way main button works insanely better - not in manual). Plus, stop it with the crazy intense background, you can't read the lyrics. You know who you are, stop giving the kids seizures. not cool. Also, the Novelty genre should be abolished, and disco

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Back to top button