Megasurvey: how do YOU feel about Rock Band 4?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • Author

Now that it has been confirmed that my “old” instruments will work on my XB1…… I will definitely be getting rock band 4, but will for sure play customs on the 360!

I myself am a bit annoyed they haven’t allowed the ability for ION compatibility for XBO, plus I also have 3 wireless mics that are probably unusable as well…

Couple that with the fact I don’t already have a XBO and that basically means unless I get in the RBRC, I won’t be buying a new console for awhile…plus my impending wedding 3 weeks after launch date.

I at least have that legacy adapter to look forward to…I guess they did that for those of us who haven’t trashed our instruments….years and years later, mine are still in pretty great condition…

I just tried Pro Guitar for the past couple of days. Judging by the #1 leaderboard rankings on regular DLC and on-disc songs I’ve been getting through the Autoplay ocarina/gecko cheat on Wii, and my sheer level of sucktitude on just learning the basic lessons, I think I know why they dropped support for Pro Guitar/Bass in RB4.

Honestly, I felt like I was playing with my feet. I for the life of me could not concentrate on the numbers on-screen, finger positioning, and having a supple hand to strum each string on my Fender Mustang controller. I doubt Pro Bass would be any better for me, even though I had a better time fingering the strings compared to strumming with a pic.

As for getting lots of #1’s, it gives me the impression that adoption rate of pro mode was rather low, even before the Squier was phased out. I struggle with keys, too. I wonder what the adoption rate of Keys was for all Rock Band players.

Bansheeflyer

I just tried Pro Guitar for the past couple of days. Judging by the #1 leaderboard rankings on regular DLC and on-disc songs I’ve been getting through the Autoplay ocarina/gecko cheat on Wii, and my sheer level of sucktitude on just learning the basic lessons, I think I know why they dropped support for Pro Guitar/Bass in RB4.

Honestly, I felt like I was playing with my feet. I for the life of me could not concentrate on the numbers on-screen, finger positioning, and having a supple hand to strum each string on my Fender Mustang controller. I doubt Pro Bass would be any better for me, even though I had a better time fingering the strings compared to strumming with a pic.

As for getting lots of #1’s, it gives me the impression that adoption rate of pro mode was rather low, even before the Squier was phased out. I struggle with keys, too. I wonder what the adoption rate of Keys was for all Rock Band players.

From what I remember Harmonix said that they bit off more than they could chew when they introduced pro guitar/bass and keys to a lesser extent. They also mentioned Rocksmith was doing it better. Of course I’m sure you know that Harmonix wanted to downsize RB4 as a result of the studio itself downsizing which judging from the amount of content that hardly anyone used in RB3 I can understand. The keyboard tutoring was awesome but unneeded and I’m sure a lot of people didn’t even know it was there. Training mode was the same way.

Unfortunately for people like me I enjoyed all the unnecessary stuff and as a result I feel RB4 is a lot emptier and not as fun.

While I’m here I guess I’ll contribute to the original topic. My friend bought RB4 and I usually end up playing it when I hang out at his house. It’s not a bad game by any means, but I feel like RB3 was the peak and it’s only going downhill now. As said earlier, Harmonix downsized a lot so I’m trying to understand they did what they could with what they had and not being as harsh on the game because of that. That being said, the removal of keys, a rather unknown setlist, no practice mode, and many DLC issues are preventing me from seriously considering getting it for myself. Hopefully they’ll fix it up as they seem to be doing. It looks like Harmonix is actually just updating the game with features via free DLC as opposed to releasing a new game every time they discover a new feature (I’m looking at you, Guitar Hero).

If you don’t feel like reading that paragraph, here’s a summary:

Good:

• Freestyle Solos are fun
      • Free feature updates
      • New instruments are awesome
      • UI looks nice
      • Legacy DLC has been updated with harmonies
      • Awesome Legacy DLC support overall
      • Shows Mode is really fun, great for parties, prevents lots of wasted minutes choosing songs
      • There’s finally some friggin’ U2
      • Free harmony mode is awesome unless you want to sing the actual charted vocals

Bad:

• DLC issues eg. Waiting for the End is broken, full 2112 isn’t available
      • No practice mode
      • No pro guitar/bass (not a big deal)
      • No keys (big deal)
      • No extended view of songs eg. song length (y’know, the yellow button in the RB3 song list)
      • Hardly any well-known on-disc hits (probably licensing issues)
      • Still no Zeppelin (again, licensing issues)
      • Small variety of instruments eg. no Gibson Firebird/Thunderbird, no Gretsch hollow-bodies
      • Lot of synchronization problems between instruments, especially those from previous RB games
      • Updating the instruments themselves is a pain in the butt
      • Bass effects have been removed
      • No online multiplayer
      • Far away camera angles and less-realistic characters makes the band feel significantly less intimate (you feel like you’re watching them rather than being them, if that makes sense)
      • Not very friendly with non-official instruments

Here I made a longer TL;DR than the actual paragraph. Oh well. So will I pick up the game? I probably will eventually but right now there’s nothing the game can offer me that RB3 doesn’t do better. There’s my two cents!

I feel like I got burnt $250 for a piece of shit game I can’t even play.

No E Drums suck’s ! :argh:

I’ll stick to RB3 & C3 customs for my Music gaming Fix ……. :rock:

My only issue with the game is that I think the notes are to shiny, it makes reading those really tricky solos hard to read when hitting a hopo or strum note.

Secondly I can’t play to my full potential as wireless instruments generate a lot of lag. I’ll be happier when the wired adapter arrives and I can use my wired Xplorer GH2 controller.

I loved RB4. The way all my games and DLC just transferred cross generation was pretty impressive to me and the fact that I had a Rock Band 4 game to play on the new Xbox was awesome. The store got revived and the music game genre got a little more life.

However, I must say after discovering RB3 customs and finding a rare keyboard controller, I had to pop RB3 back in my 360 and man, I took so many of it’s features for granted back in the day when I wasn’t as open minded about it. It has way more customization than RB4, in some ways the graphical effects are even better in my opinion, all the seamless transitions and impressive loading times and you can just feel the passion and ambition that was put into it.

As a new pro keys player, its been really fun to learn. I even started looking for one of those mustang pro guitars just to check out how that all works and give me even more reason to play RB3.

I just wish that the RB4 DLC I purchased and Setlist could be transferred back to RB3 haha, but besides that and the DLC that I stupidly bought from the RB4 store instead of the RB3 store (Including RHCP which I am so angry at myself about) I think that RB3 is gonna be my go-to Rock Band game from now on, even for parties and stuff.

If we ever get a next gen Rock Band 5 game, I hope at the very least that they bring back Keys support, I’ll buy it and support it no matter what but I honestly don’t think anything can replace RB3 thanks to you guys now that I have customs, unless maybe someone makes like an open source PC game that incorporates all the best features of Rock Band games and lets me plug in my RB3 hdd and just play the songs there as well as other formats. Until then, RB3 is the one.

Dangus
      Participant

RB3’s UI is much better too.

Looks more professional with the larger album art/layout, the separate song information screen, and album headers… like why didn’t Harmonix just keep these features.

Truly will never understand their logic. Especially since some (not enough) features came back.

[Features like keyboard/pro guitar make sense to drop, the audience just wasn’t there. They were too complex for a standard casual player.]

Ultimate_MANG0
        Participant

I must one of the very few who are annoyed that they havent made the singer change depending if the artist has a male or female singer. They had it in RB3. It’s small but a big for me

Bansheeflyer

I must one of the very few who are annoyed that they havent made the singer change depending if the artist has a male or female singer. They had it in RB3. It’s small but a big for me

I think that was part of their effort to be more gender-neutral with RB4. Bugs me too but it’s something I can overlook.

…the DLC that I stupidly bought from the RB4 store instead of the RB3 store…

I concur very much with this. I incorrectly assumed that buying pre-RB4 stuff through the RB4 store meant you could download it on RB3. Nope. So now I either buy all the Iron Maiden again or I just play it on RB4.

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Back to top button