I recharted every note, but “Gem should be simultaneous with end of drum fill”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Fou du Village
    Participant

I always get “Gem at _______ should be simultaneous with end of drum fill at _____” errors and after 3 hours of research, I just don’t know what to try…
      Right now, the exact error I get is:
      ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART DRUMS): Gem at [49:3:476] should be simultaneous with end of drum fill at [48:4:000-49:4:000]
      ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART DRUMS): Gem at [53:1:477] should be simultaneous with end of drum fill at [52:2:000-53:2:000]
      ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART DRUMS): Gem at [65:3:475] should be simultaneous with end of drum fill at [64:4:000-65:4:000]
      ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART DRUMS): Gem at [69:3:475] should be simultaneous with end of drum fill at [68:4:000-69:4:000]
      ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART DRUMS): Gem at [73:4:475] should be simultaneous with end of drum fill at [73:1:000-74:1:000]
      ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART DRUMS): Gem at [77:4:475] should be simultaneous with end of drum fill at [77:1:000-78:1:000]

So all my fills from measure 1 to 45 work totally fine, but all the fills from measure 49 to the end have an compiler error (there are no drums between measures 55 and 62 so no fills there).

What I tried :
      – I made sure drums MIDI track starts at 1.1.00 (by pressing “home”) (didn’t work)
      – I tried selecting all drums notes (including fills and overdrive) and ran the “Quantize Item Positions” action with these parameters : “Quantize to 1/16 notes”, “[Checked] Quantize item ends and stretch item to fit”. (didn’t work)
      – I made sure that 1. Snap to grid in ON, 2. “Grid” is at 1/16 and 3. “Notes” is at 1/16 and then… I deleted and recreated EVERY SINGLE NOTE. (didn’t work)

So that’s where I am right now.

When I check “Note Properties” in Reaper for all the 5 notes for the fill near [48:4:000-49:4:000] (according to Magma), I get :
      Position: “48.4.02”, Length: “1.0.00”.
      And here are the “Note Properties” for the note that should match the end of this fill :
      Note: 097 C#6, Position: 49.4.02, Length: 0.0.25.

If it can help, I’m “new” (haven’t charted in the last 8 years and only charted one song before that) and I’m using Reaper v5. I started my project with this version and didn’t realized I should be using v4.22. If you think Reaper version can cause this problem, I’ll reinstall everything and recreate my project by redoing all the tempo mapping and try to recycle my “ideas” of my previous project. Obviously, if there’s a more simple solution, I would be very happy.

Thanks in advance!

Fou du Village
      Participant

Well, I succesfully opened my Reaper v5 project with Reaper v4.22 (without any compatibility issue) and clearly saw that all my notes were misaligned (regardless of what Reaper v5 was telling me). I deleted and recreated notes and fills and now it works.

FujiSkunk
        Keymaster

Glad to hear it’s working for you. If you see this error again in the future, try quantizing the notes in REAPER. Usually you’ll want to quantize note positions and note ends, and then depending on the chart, you’ll want to quantize to 16th or 32nd notes. Quantizing can help prevent a lot of headaches, so many authors do it early and often.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 12 months ago by FujiSkunk.
          Fou du Village
          Participant

Thanks for the advice :)! I knew about the “Snap”, but it’s unfortunate I learned the existence of Quantizing way too late. My whole charting nightmare came from the fact that I had to redo my tempo mapping at least 4 times (I was either off or pressed Q by accident without noticing). Anyway, my next custom will probably be waaaay easier :).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Back to top button