[How-To] Playing Customs on Wii

Viewing 15 posts - 2,536 through 2,550 (of 3,117 total)
  • Author
    StackOverflow0x
    Participant

I’ve finally hit a big problem I’m unsure how to tackle. It has something to do with the amount of songs I’ve attempted to load into my library. The cause, I suspect, is one of two things:

(a.) Too many BINs are being loaded and the game can’t handle it. This began happening when I hit around 1600 BINs.

(b.) Too many songs are being loaded and the game can’t handle it. This began happening when I hit around 2,500 songs.

I suspect the problem lies with the amount of BINs, since the song limit is supposedly 3,000 with the cheat, and this only started when I downloaded a few official songs, thereby increasing the number of BINs (since, with customs, I was using the same ~500 BINs for months but editing them to include multiple songs).

Symptoms:

1. Rock Band 3 would not keep the cached library file. Instead, it would insist on reloading all BINs at every startup. Annoying and extremely time consuming.

2. Rock Band 3 would freeze when trying to access the SD card. I had to delete the cache file to get it to even attempt to load up.

3. Rock Band 3 would freeze when the game began loading the BINs (if it didn’t freeze in #2 above).

4. Rock Band 4 would freeze more often between loading songs on a setlist.

So, questions:

Has anybody hit this “upper limit” before?

Was it related to the amount of songs, or the amount of BINs?

How did you tackle it?

For now, I’m just renaming one of my BIN folders to keep me below whatever the threshold is. For example, I’ll rename sZAE to sZAE1 to prevent the Wii from loading that folder. This way, I don’t have to delete any official DLC, and can easily access it later with a simple refresh.

Obviously, though, I’d like to be able to load all of my files into one universal library. I’d rather delete some dud songs so I can have everything I want where I want it when I want it there. I know I’m close to the threshold, and I want to figure out the magic number, so before I delve into all that testing, I thought I’d ask here. Thanks!

I think someone else ran into this problem as well. There is a limit somewhere around where you started seeing strange things. Could be the cache or the save. But the game probably can’t really reach 3,000 songs.

Does anybody have the packing tools for Generations sZCE and and sZDE? I ran out of room in A and B for Harmonies Project upgrades.

Why though? Harmony upgrades shouldn’t need any other content generations besides A for spoofing. The midi upgrade can go anywhere else, even in the custom gens.

Atruejedi
      Participant

Why though? Harmony upgrades shouldn’t need any other content generations besides A for spoofing. The midi upgrade can go anywhere else, even in the custom gens.

Could you clarify? I currently have both sZAE and and sZBE each jammed with the songs.dta file (about 60 K:cool: in the songs folder and the upgrade MIDIs (over 400 KB total) in the songs_upgrades folder. Total, I’ve upgraded 66 songs, but I still have more I want to upgrade. I planned on using C for generations D and later, and using D for generations E and later.

What exactly do you mean when you say the MIDI upgrade can go anywhere else? Could you give an example? And I’d prefer to keep it separate from the customs generations I’m using (sZGE and sZHE) since I can’t load every BIN anyway at this point and need to be selective.

EuroMIX
        Participant

Could you clarify? I currently have both sZAE and and sZBE each jammed with the songs.dta file (about 60 K:cool: in the songs folder and the upgrade MIDIs (over 400 KB total) in the songs_upgrades folder.

How many BINs in each generation have you added upgrades too?

Atruejedi
          Participant

Here is my color-coded spreadsheet of currently implemented upgrades for DLC:

Gpg3QXo.png

Generation A = Red (required to make this all work)

Generation B = Green

Generation C = Blue

Generation D = Orange

Generation E = Yellow

Generation J = Purple (RB2 exports, typically)

So, to explicitly answer your question: 12 from B, 24 from C, 7 from D, 12 from E, and 9 from J… for a total of 66 (including the two from A themselves)

These BINs are at their 500 KB limit. If I can access C and D to create new spoofs, I can shuffle around generations and fit more songs. Ideally, the “Upgraded using A” column would only have green songs (from B ) in it, “Upgraded using B” would only have blue songs (from C), etc. I already have all of the DLC I want to upgrade mapped out elsewhere in the spreadsheet… so as soon as I can fit it, I’m ready to move!

EuroMIX
            Participant

Hmm… maybe I should just give you a visual example of what I’m doing.

I only used the spoofing method for the RB2 import, because it’s the first generation I encountered that can’t be unpacked and repacked directly, which as I think I’ve mentioned before, is how I decided to do most of the upgrades since it lets me add art as well.

Here’s my two upgrades folders:

1yrQo0N.png

7bZm3U7.png

The songs.DTA is in 001_00000001 (The Kill) and is at about 30KB with all the DTA info for these songs added.

If I ever add any more, I’ll probably start with 011_0000000B (the next available folder I have), then 013_0000000D, etc. I have a total of 44 folders (not counting The Kill) in sZAP/E, so if I can add 10 upgrades per each, that’s 440 upgrades in just sZAP. That seems plenty to me for official DLC.

Anyone knows a tool to know what songs have I compiled to a certain .app file? A relation between .app -> song/band name?

Atruejedi
              Participant

The songs.DTA is in 001_00000001 (The Kill) and is at about 30KB with all the DTA info for these songs added.

…huh. So I can put the MIDI upgrades in a songs_upgrades folder other than 001? I had no idea. I’ll give that a try. Thanks!

Anyone knows a tool to know what songs have I compiled to a certain .app file? A relation between .app -> song/band name?

In the packer you should have a file called u8it.exe.

You can use this tool in command line to extract app files like they were rar files. There is zero relation with the band name and the app filename, the only relation is the slot number.

u8it.exe filename.app exitfolder

StackOverflow0x
                Participant

If you still have the folders for them, which you should, then I think one of my customs packing tools will show you what’s in them.

seg45
                  Participant

Hey could get some information on how to use the sZGE folder I recently hit the limit on the sZFE folder

Same way, download the rar file for sZGE and pack from there using sZGE in the DTA file instead of sZFE.

You also need to install the provided wad file.

seg45
                    Participant

My rar file didn’t come with a packdlc.bat

Hey Stack, question about a song on the legacy database.

The Wii version of Mother by Danzig seems to sound incomplete in the conversion process. The snare seems to be non-existent, and I don’t hear much of the bass guitar.

To remedy this I tried to convert the CON version, which sounds pristine, but the catch is that it stutters due to the full multitracks not playing nice. Is there a way to fix this?

StackOverflow0x
                      Participant

Hey Stack, question about a song on the legacy database.

The Wii version of Mother by Danzig seems to sound incomplete in the conversion process. The snare seems to be non-existent, and I don’t hear much of the bass guitar.

To remedy this I tried to convert the CON version, which sounds pristine, but the catch is that it stutters due to the full multitracks not playing nice. Is there a way to fix this?

Hmm, I guess I made a mistake? I’ll look into it.

It will fail building a song cache if the DTA has certain errors. Take out songs until you can identify the problem files.

So… a year and a half later…. I’m still having this problem, and I had just given up, but all of the recent releases have me psyched to play again. I’ve deleted a bunch of songs, going way back to months before this problem started and then I reset the cache, but the problem remains. The game loads fine until it attempts to build the song list. At that point the screen simply freezes and all I can do is unplug the Wii.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,536 through 2,550 (of 3,117 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Back to top button