Help Authoring/Making Customs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cyrik
    Participant

how tf do i delete a topic or even can I? better version is missing links for authoring

yaniv297
      Keymaster

I found the PDF for new authors kinda useful, not sure why it’s “horribly outdated”.

If you have musical knowledge or rhythm-gaming experience, charting isn’t so difficult. Choose a song to get started with, preferably one with a good midi file available (it makes stuff easier at the beginning). If you can find one with a fixed tempo, so you can avoid tempo mapping, even better. (A good tempo map is the most important thing by far in a custom, if it’s not on sync everything else is irrelevant).

Just start messing around with it. The PDF and the docs have quite a bit of information and guidelines for every custom. Download CAT, it really helps with some of the tedious stuff. If you’re stuck on anything, search the forums here – there’s an answer for almost everything – and if you can’t find it, ask yourself.

There’s a few tips and tricks I wish people would told me when I started (such as, use a bass booster and 2+ octave pitch shift when charting bass drum and bass, makes it so much easier to hear), but you’ll get there in due time.

Vocals are probably the hardest to get a good grip on, but charting drums/guitar/bass can be done fairly easily, especially if you have a good midi file.

cyrik
        Participant

I found the PDF for new authors kinda useful, not sure why it’s “horribly outdated”.

If you have musical knowledge or rhythm-gaming experience, charting isn’t so difficult. Choose a song to get started with, preferably one with a good midi file available (it makes stuff easier at the beginning). If you can find one with a fixed tempo, so you can avoid tempo mapping, even better. (A good tempo map is the most important thing by far in a custom, if it’s not on sync everything else is irrelevant).

Just start messing around with it. The PDF and the docs have quite a bit of information and guidelines for every custom. Download CAT, it really helps with some of the tedious stuff. If you’re stuck on anything, search the forums here – there’s an answer for almost everything – and if you can’t find it, ask yourself.

There’s a few tips and tricks I wish people would told me when I started (such as, use a bass booster and 2+ octave pitch shift when charting bass drum and bass, makes it so much easier to hear), but you’ll get there in due time.

Vocals are probably the hardest to get a good grip on, but charting drums/guitar/bass can be done fairly easily, especially if you have a good midi filI

If you’re talking about the pdf made by Farratone i stopped reading it because it said you needed the RBN REAPER plugins and I couldn’t find any link that was still up for downloading it. I’ll give the pdf another shot. My main problem is not finding working links for certain tools like RBN plugins and the CustomTools.zip thing. These two things I am missing are also mentioned that I need them right at the beginning of “Let’s Author” with pksage, I tried ignoring the fact I’m missing files but I already hit a wall not even 5 minutes in when he uses one of the custom templates, (I also can’t find a link for the CARV automatic chart validation)

(also some things are hyperbolized because I wrote this topic when I was really annoyed trying to look for these things, sorry about that)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Back to top button