Drum Chart too hard?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ws54
    Participant

I’m working on a drum chart that has repeating patterns of hi-hat 16th notes at 125BPM in about 1/3 of the song as shown here:

Would this be considered too much or is this acceptable?

Farottone
      Keymaster

The question is: is that is how the drums are played by the drummer in the song?

nsw1-6
        Participant

In addition to what farottone said,

I would also look at the genre of the song, though it probably doesn’t matter. If it’s more electronic/pop music and those hi-hats are tight, they’re more likely overdubbed as a separate track. Their placement in the image itself looks like overdubbing, but that’s your call. If so, I think you could remove the yellow notes on the snare/bass hit to make it playable.

Farottone
          Keymaster

In addition to what farottone said,

I would also look at the genre of the song, though it probably doesn’t matter. If it’s more electronic/pop music and those hi-hats are tight, they’re more likely overdubbed as a separate track.

Exactly, that is why I ask if that’s how *the drummer plays it* in the song. If it’s a drums machine, it’s another matter.

AJFOne23
            Participant

during any fast hi hat part never place a yellow on top of a red. doing so forces you to play with one arm on the hi hat making it impossible to pull off

“too hard” is subjective and irrevelant, just make sure it stays true to the song and that its possible for a human being to play

also you should remove the yellow notes on top of the reds if its 16th notes on hi hat being played, thats not realistic

Farottone
              Keymaster

also you should remove the yellow notes on top of the reds if its 16th notes on hi hat being played, thats not realistic

It’s like saying that in 250 BPM songs you can’t do 8ths on the hi hat AND hitting the snare at the same time on the 2 and 4. Dammit is 220+ BPM, tempo kept on the hi hat in 8ths, it’s not THAT slower than 250. You were spot on when you said it needs to be possible to play, which is why the only question is: is this how the drummer plays the song?

ws54
                Participant

It is a hard rock song and I believe the drummer is actually playing the pattern I show. But it feels super human to me to hit all of those hi-hats using one hand (at least on a rock band kit and have them all register accurately.) So I guess I will either remove the hi-hat on the snare or perhaps only have a triplet leading into the 3 beat. The pattern is definitely noticeable in the song so reducing it to 8ths doesn’t feel right, although that is what Hard will play.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Farottone
                  Keymaster

What I do when I’m not sure is not punish the player and switch to a 2 handed pattern, so no hi hat hit coupled with the snare.

atupomaruru
                    Participant

I’d say leave it if you believe that’s what the drummer is playing, that’s nowhere near the limit where you’d be required to simplify for playability, unless of course that pattern continues for a long time in which case stamina might start to become an issue.

Also it is definitely possible to play that pattern without using the right hand for every hihat note. I would probably go for something like LRBRLRL myself if I saw something like that come up and it was too fast for me to play with one hand on each pad.

Bansheeflyer

Since they are 16th notes 125BPM isn’t a big deal. As Farottone said “Dammit” as well as “Bad Reputation” are both quite fast but are played normally.

I’m looking at my songs that are near 125BPM and they are fairly easy to play with 16th hi-hat notes. In fact what I believe is my fastest song at 185BPM has 16th notes and it’s not too difficult.

Check live videos if you can find them. If that’s what the drummer is playing, chart it. Would you be willing to say the name of the song + the time this part takes place?

Farottone
                        Keymaster

I’m looking at my songs that are near 125BPM and they are fairly easy to play with 16th hi-hat notes. In fact what I believe is my fastest song at 185BPM has 16th notes and it’s not too difficult.

Are you sure? 16th notes at 185BPM is a heck of a ride.

MrBurpler
                          Participant

Check live videos if you can find them. If that’s what the drummer is playing, chart it. Would you be willing to say the name of the song + the time this part takes place?

+1 when in doubt, look at live performances, I’ll also looks at covers too, but only as a starting point.

Bansheeflyer

Are you sure? 16th notes at 185BPM is a heck of a ride.

Whoops, meant 135BPM. I do have a song that’s 185BPM but those are 8th notes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Back to top button